Series Rules, Scoring, and Prize Structure
(No change since 4/14/2016)
- All races are scored the same and there are no double point races.
- Points will be awarded to the top 15 overall men and top 15 overall women runners in each race of the series on a 15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points basis.
- Points will also be awarded in each 5-year age group to the top 10 men and top 10 women runners in each race of the series on a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points basis.
- The following age groups will be scored in each race: 19 & under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, and 85-89 for both men and women.
- Each runner’s age will be determined by the registered age of the runner at his or her first completed series race and will remain constant for the entire series.
- Awards will be announced no later than December 31st and will be presented at the GRTC banquet as follows:
- Overall Men: 1st through 10th places
- Overall Women: 1st through 10th places
- Men & Women Age Groups: 1st through 5th places in all age groups
NOTE: There will be no “double dipping” for the 1st – 3rd overall men and women, since they will receive monetary awards. In other words, they will not be eligible as Age Group winners.
- The overall Men’s and Women’s champions will be declared “Rochester Runner of the Year.”
- The number of races in the RROY Series can vary from year to year, but is often around 12. The total points scored in a runner’s best six (6) races will determine all award winners. Ties for 1st place only will be broken by head-to-head competition (see explanation below). If the tie still remains, and for places other than 1st, the tied athletes will be given the same place. There will be separate rankings for the Age Groups and the Overall divisions. In order to qualify for awards, a runner must compete in (and complete) at least four (4) series races. Fourth through tenth place overall winners are also eligible for age group awards.
- There is no residency requirement. All registered runners completing a series race are eligible for points.
- GRTC Member runners who have completed at least six of the RROY Series races will be eligible for a Consistent Participant Award. If not a member, you must join the GRTC prior to the completion of the last race in the series to qualify for the Consistent Participant Award.
- Any and all questions and protests will be decided by the RROY Series Committee.
Head-to-Head tiebreaker explained:
If a tie exists for first place overall after calculating the scores for the competitors’ best six races, then the winner will be determined by which competitor finished ahead of the other the greatest number of times in series races in which they both ran. If this tiebreaker rule still results in a tie, then they will be named co-champions.